Friday, December 5, 2008

female praying mantis

So my life with boys includes my lovely hubby, and I would have to say that there are these moment, sometimes every once in a while, sometimes a couple times a day, were the little annoying things he does drive me absolutely mad...we have known each other for over 15 years after all.

For the most part he is my rock, my best friend, my love, but then there are these little moments in between, were I just want to snap.

In these moments I envision myself as a female praying mantis and we all know what they do to there mates right?

As an example of the kind of stuff that drives me bananas, I will paint a picture for you. I don't know if the picture will be good enough with out the audio, but I will attempt to recreate the scenario of last night. Let me mention that prior to this little moment in time, I had been in the Dentist chair for four hours, and it had been a full house daycare day, with a million and one things to do. So now let the scenario unravel...

Me baking cookies like crazy (two different types, three dozen each) for a cookie party get together this Saturday, and trying to put together a batch of sugar cooking for the Friday Christmas cookie decoration party with the daycare kids. At the same time I am also trying to slap some dinner together, before it gets too late. While I am busy doing all this my mind is racing ahead as to how I am going to manage cleaning up the house, which is a disaster at that point and get the boys to bed on time. My lovely hubby mean while is staring at the computer screen in the playroom. Three boys running around screaming at the top of there lungs. Throwing things. Then the brawl starts, the two littlest want the same toy, and the ear splitting screaming begins, which is a notch higher then screaming at the top of their lungs. Me desperately trying to do damage control from the kitchen while up to my elbows in cookie goo. SO not working, they are in there own little must have it world. So I holler at hubby to please help, no answer. I holler again, a little louder just in case he didn't hear me over the noise that is now vibrating off the walls. He looks up at me, and says "Huh?" I ask (snap) a curt, "didn't you hear me?" "no." he replies, just sitting there staring at me, as if nothing is going on. Mean while the scream fest has magically solved it self. "Well couldn't you at least hear all the noise around you?" I ask. "No, I wasn't paying attention to it." Really dude, the noise is literally bouncing around in my brain and I am in the kitchen. What is your secret my friend.

Those kinds of nonchalant comments from him while I am going squirrelly, those are the ones that make me pause and picture myself as a female praying mantis. Then I can smile, and life goes on...no harm done.

2 comments:

Kat said...

It MUST be a guy thing. My hubby does the same thing and it drives me CRAZY!!!!!! THAT is why I turn into GROUCHY mommy sometimes. Ugh.

Marlea said...

Oh yes, I love the praying mantis thought....