Friday, November 14, 2008

Wheat free cornbread anyone?


I have a kid with a wheat sensitivity, so we have had to cut all wheat out of his diet (and a lot out of ours too!) to keep him from feeling yucky. It's been a real adjustment for our family, and a new cooking experience for me. I altered a cornbread recipe with great success and I wanted to share it with anyone who has a wheat sensitivity, or if you just want a new delicious cornbread recipe, I guarantee your kids will love it. It is super yummy, my hubby brought it to work, and shared, and even a few of the guys he works with want the recipe! Be warned that my recipes are a fly by the seat of your pants sort of deal, I guesstimate (a combination of guess and estimate, great word!) a lot.


Turn your oven on to 350, put 3 tablespoons of butter in a 9 by 13 glass baking pan (or something close to that size), and place in the oven to melt while the oven is warming up. Make sure the butter does not burn! Keep an eye on it, and take out as soon as it is done melting.


In a big mixing bowl add:

1 cup rice flour

1/2 cup soy flour

2/3 sugar (I usually put a little less then this)

1/2 cup corn meal

1 tbsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

Mix all of these ingredients together, then make a hole in the middle of the dry mixture and add the following ingredients.

1 1/4 cups milk

1 large egg (Beat separately first, then add.)

You can use 2 eggs instead, but I think the cornbread is more moist with my egg/water combination. If you do put 2 eggs in then do not add the 1/3 cup water listed below.

1/3 cup water

1/3 cup vegetable oil.

Mix all ingredients together well.


Pour the cornbread mixture into the pan with the melted butter, I always gently mix the melted butter in with the cornbread a little bit, but I don't think you have to do this. Word of advice, don't grab the hot glass pan with your bare hands in a hurry to get it in the oven, ouch! Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. The bottom of the cornbread should just be a little brown, do not over cook. Trust me...


You can also do this recipe with no eggs, I had to the other day, and I just used 2/3 cup water, about a tbsp of corn starch, and a little extra oil. I'm really good at getting everything mixed up in the bowl and then realizing that I have no eggs, happens more then I even want to admit!


If you try this cornbread recipe, let me know what you think. Enjoy!

No comments: