Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Zip line adventure!

Last weekend Ryder and I got a little crazy and went on a zip line adventure with my brother and his girlfriend. It was most definitely pushing the limit for this girl...


We took an hour long ferry ride over to San Juan Island. It was beautiful in a sort of mystical way because of all the fog.
It also made me a little nervous to be on a boat in such thick fog, at some points you could not see very far ahead and the ferry would start honking it's horn over and over again. I tried not to think to hard on that.
I was just keeping my fingers crossed that the thunder would stay away, other wise after all the hassle of getting over there {not to mention the extremely expensive ferry fare!} the zip line would be cancelled and we would have to reschedule. Thankfully that didn't happen, and the fog cleared up! It ended up being an amazing day.


We got to the island with enough time to wander and then get some lunch before hand. It was so much fun to eat, with out kids, in adult company! That doesn't happen often. :) 


All geared up and ready to go!



The four of us all suited up and ready to zip!
I look like a logger...
Before going on the actually course we did a test run on two short zip lines, which was an embarrassing introduction. I hate people watching me, feeling put on the spot, especially if I'm trying something new. It's the perfectionism. It's a curse. But I survived and managed to follow all the rules and not make a fool of myself. Mission accomplished.


Here's Ryder zipping through the air! He decided to do the splits midair, dare devil indeed! ;)


Here's the view from one of the platforms way up high in the air. This one almost broke me. I had to do some serious talking in my head, You Can Do This, You Can Do This, in order to not freak the funk out!
After that one I felt like a pro...


There's something about conquering fear that can make a person feel a bit giddy.


And speaking of giddy...


This rope bridge made me get those giggles. You know the ones where you are crying and laughing at the same time and trying really hard not to pee your pants. Those giggles. I inherited them from my mother who tends to laugh at the most inappropriate times, and always when she is nervous.. and wow, was I nervous! Hysterical giggles. And I kept it up all the way across. So embarrassing! I knew I was tied on and secure that way, but it didn't matter, I didn't want to fall off and just be dangling there way high up in the air! Every time the bridge just barely moved I would start up my hysterical giggling and tears would be streaming down my face. I was a mess. But it felt amazing to get across to the other side safe and sound. Exhilarating!


I had refused to cross with my husband or my brother, for good reasons. One I knew my brother would think it was hilarious to mess with me, and two because I could be sure what my husband planned to do.  Well it turns out his plan was to run across... with humorous results. My brother's girlfriend and I laughed so hard our stomachs hurt!


This was the point where our tour guides got really quiet. They didn't think it was quite so funny...


Then the tour guide next to me said "well that would be a first, we've never had that happen before." Welcome to my world, tour guide, ha ha!
It was great to see my husband laughing so hard though and just really enjoying himself, his crazy, silly self. I wish I had recorded the whole thing, it was a riot! :)


Then it was all done I was so glad we went! And I couldn't think of better people to go on such an adventure with!

This is a video I took on the very last zip line over a pond. I will apologize in advance for the shakiness, not easy to zip and record, but it does still look pretty cool!

2 comments:

Kat said...

That sounds like so much fun! I would love to do that! So awesome! :)

Marlea said...

What an amazing experience!!! Great job facing your fears!!!