Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Talk about yummy!

You know that old saying, if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. Well that's were I'm at. So I thought I'd share an awesome recipe instead. It is well worth sharing and if you feel even a little bit like baking don't miss out on this one. It's super easy and super yummy.

The original recipe is listed below, I had to make changes to it because of Atty's many food sensitivities. I'm sure the original is just as yummy though if not yummier (is yummier a word?)

Banana bread (I know what your thinking but this is no ordinary banana bread.)

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3 large eggs
2 cups sugar
1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups ripe mashed banana
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup buttermilk
nonstick cooking spray
~
Preheat oven to 350 (makes two loafs or you can use one 9 by 12 cake pan or muffin tins like I do.) I don't use nonstick cooking spray so I just lightly greased the pan with grape seed oil (or what ever high heat oil you use). Set pan aside.
~
In a medium size mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt then set aside.
~
In another large mixing bowl beat with an electric mixer the eggs, sugar, and veggie oil on med-low speed- then beat in the flour mixture. Add the vanilla, banana, coconuts and butter milk and beat just until combined.
~
Bake for 60-65 minutes.

Now with Atty I can't use any wheat, gluten, dairy or coconut so....
*I substituted the flour for 2 cup rice flour + 1 cup almond flour for a total of 3 cups.
*I leave out the coconut (and it's still yummy).
*I admit though I am too scared to use rice milk in place of the buttermilk, but I don't ever have buttermilk on hand so I just use the substitute for that, sour milk. For this recipe I use 1/2 tablespoon of vinegar and then add enough milk to make a 1/2 cup (let it sit for at least 5 minutes). I got this idea from a Betty Crocker Cookbook. In that book to make sour milk it's a tablespoon of vinegar and then add enough milk to make one cup. It works well, and even though Atty isn't suppose to have dairy it's such a little amount that it doesn't seem to bother him.
*I also used grape seed oil instead of vegetable oil, I think it makes the bread all the more yummy! Plus I feel that it is a bit better for us, so I try to use it as often as possible as a replacement for regular ole veggie oil.
*I also use about 2 cups mashed banana, because I think it makes the bread a little more moist.
*I use around 1 1/2 cups sugar instead of 2, just because.
*Since I don't use coconut I add ground spices to mine like Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg, and Clove. Some or all depending on how I feel. I'm a moody cook. ;)
*I also don't cook mine for 60 minutes, mine cooks way faster then that but it could be because of the flours I'm using. Keep an eye on yours though and take it out if it starts to get too brown, you don't want to over cook this one. One of the things that makes it so yummy is how moist it is.

This recipe calls for way more sugar and oil then I would normally use, but it really does make it yummy so I waver in my convictions I suppose.

So there you go, I sure hope you try it. If I could I would make you all some because it's so delicious everyone should have a chance to taste it. Oh and if you want to make it more like a dessert or coffee cake add Cinnamon sugar or brown sugar to the top before you put it in the oven (if you're not using the coconut, otherwise that might be nasty).

ENJOY!

No comments: