Thursday, December 2, 2010

Oh Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree, how lovely are they branches...

Oldest boy hanging up the first ornament of the year.

The boys always look forward to this part.

It's their favorite, and they take the job very seriously.

Baby girl hanging up her first ornament ever!

So cute, she was really excited to be helping. She would hang the ornament I gave to her up, then point at it, then take it back down again. Over and over again. :)

Our patchwork tree, it may not be stylish but every ornament carries a memory.
I love being able to tell my kids about every ornament, some more precious then others as time goes on. Some from people who have passed on, or moved away. The first ornament for each of the kids, or the first ornaments hung on our first Christmas tree for the hubby and I. The memories, and stories flood back to me as I look at each one and share with my children. They listen quietly as I talk, asking an occasional question as they reverently hang each one careful on the branches. It's so sweet to hear their little voices when they stop to gaze at the tree. Sharing the special stories together and pointing out their favorites. I think that decorating the tree together with our random ornaments has turned in to a lovely tradition for us, one of my favorites. I wouldn't have it any other way.
*
I love hearing about other people's favorite family traditions, what are some of yours for this time of year?

1 comment:

Kat said...

That is so awesome. That was always my favorite as a kid too. Taking the ornaments out of the boxes and finding favorites. So good. :)

I think your tree is SO PRETTY!