Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Which do you want first, the bad news or the good news?

So sadly it looks as if our beloved Maxie-moo was hit and killed by a car. I got a call last Friday from a neighbor telling me that she saw a cat that she thought was her's on the side of the road a few blocks away. She happened to see one of the flyers we posted in the neighborhood and she said that the cat she saw looked exactly like the cat in our poster. :( She said she was relieved when she got home and realized it wasn't her cat... so good for her, and sad for us. I am truly heart broken, there have not been many cats that I have been attached to in my life, Max was definitely one of them. He was one of the most amazing cats ever and he will be missed so badly. For some reason all the cats that I have loved and lost have been male, it's like the part that makes them big lovable lap kitties, also makes them car stupid. Four awesome boy cats in the last 10 years I have loved and lost to being hit by a car. I tried so hard to make Max an indoor kitty too, but with four kids and all their friends going in and out all day it just wasn't happening. It's hard not having any closure, I feel positive that our neighbor did indeed see Max, but we didn't, so it makes it hard to say a real good bye. Very confusing for the kids as well. They are so sad too, they keep telling me how much they miss their cat, which just makes me want to cry every time.

Max, we loved you so much, and I still keep hoping to see your little face peeking in the window at me. I miss the way you would meow at me after I tucked the kids into bed, until I sat down, and then  you would cuddle up in my lap.  Every night you let me know when it was your turn. Sweet little snuggle bug. Rest in peace.



And now for the next part of my post. First the sad, and now the happy.  I don't know if you are a bad new/good news person or a good news/bad news person... but I like it bad/good. Save the best for last my mom always said.
While I was on Craigslist looking at the lost and found ads for the millionth time I meandered on over to the pets section and saw the perfect dog for us... We have been talking about getting one since last Christmas, but I've been dragging my feet because I didn't want any ol' cute dog. I wanted the perfect fit. Good with kids, little animals, friendly but able to be a guard dog. Large but not too big, etc... there was quite a list.  I didn't want a pure breed, not just because of cost, but also to avoid breeders and a lot of the health problems that often go along with pure breed dogs. I was looking mostly at shelters. But these puppies jumped out at me from the ad and screamed, I'm the one for you! Lab/Boxer/Chow mix. Now I'm not a huge fan of the Chow Chow but they are good with kids and can be good with cat and small animals if introduced at a young age. I love Boxers and if I ever were to get a pure breed dog it would be a Boxer {With out the horrible mutilated ears, I hate that!} My husband loves Labs, so it's a match made in heaven. ;) I actually woke my husband up and told him about them. First thing in the morning I pestered him again and made him look at the cute pictures and we looked up the breeds together.  We agreed that we might not find another mix like that any time soon that fit us so perfectly. So I called first thing in the morning. The lady set aside a male dog for me that had brindle markings on him. The other two males were only black and white and I wanted more of the boxer brown. When we got there right after work she only had him and his sister left! We were instantly in love. :) So I introduce to you... Radar! The newest member of our family {and a great distraction for my kiddos}.

He's way little, only 6 weeks. Too little to be away from his mommy, but he was being bottle feed and the mommy wasn't around anyways. The lady who was caring for them was doing it to keep them out of a shelter {long, sad, neuter/spay your pets, story} and didn't own the mom or the dad dog, and she wanted them out of the house. He is very people friendly because of all the human contact, but when he gets a bit older we will need to focus on making sure he is dog friendly since he was taken away from him mom and litter mates so early.

We are treating him like the baby he is, which has made for some LONG nights for the hubby and I. When he gets closer to 10-12 weeks we will get strict with the crate training but for now, he cries we hold him. :) He has a special spot pended off in our laundry room with his crate in there to sleep in {not that he sleeps in there nearly enough} food/water and toys. Pee pad for those times we don't get him outside in time. :) We have already been training him to go potty on command in a certain spot outside, and he does really well! {Obviously that only works if he actually has to go potty...} Seems like a pretty smart cookie so far. :)

 We are all quite smitten. I'd say the kids all love their new brother {although Lala might be a tad jealous, ha ha!}

 Here she is being a sweet big sister. :)

 My husband is absolutely in love. He has been up at night with this puppy more then he ever was with our babies! Ha ha!!! In fairness he is laid off right now, so he can help out more then normal because he doesn't have to get up awful early, and the puppy doesn't nurse. ;) It's nice not having to have all of the responsibility!

 This boy needed a real dog, as my husband would say.
{In reference to Luna, who I still miss and the underlying reason why it took me so long to be open to the dog idea... My husband was not a fan of Luna's. He called her Luna-tic.}

 Such a baby!

 Radar is obsessed with licking Atty's face. :)

Radar Rivers, we hope you grow up to be a healthy and happy dog! We are so excited to have you as part of our family, and we think Max would approve. :) He was always trying to make friends with the neighbors dogs after all, and you are way cooler then them. ;)

2 comments:

Kat said...

I am so sorry about your kitty. That is so sad. And how very weird of the lady to tell you how pleased she was that it wasn't her cat. Gee, thanks lady. ??


But...

YAY!!!!! Congratulations on your new family member!!!!! I am so excited for you! I am definitely a dog person and I think every family needs a dog. And Radar will be PERFECT!!!! My brother's last two dogs have been a lab/chow mix and they have both been AWESOME. Such sweet personalities and so gentle. I can not tell you how happy I am for you!!!!!!! :)

Riahli said...

It was weird, she was a very strange lady and part of me wondered if her story was true... but if it wasn't I believe Max would have been home by now.