Thursday, February 3, 2011

To the moon and back birthday boy...

Because it is your birthday my heart child, my fiery redhead, my love, I had to put a baby picture up. Look at those cheeks! Be still my heart, *sigh*...
One year ago to day things looked a lot more like this...
You were having a hard time talking, walking, feeding yourself, or bathing. You could no longer use the toilet. You were drooling and falling over all the time. You were sad, understandably. You were frustrated, overwhelmed and scared. You slept all the time, and could only watch your brothers play. It all happened so fast. You went from our normally happy Atty, active and playing... to seizing all day long. The day before your third birthday I was begging and praying for you to be released from the hospital so that we could celebrate your birthday at home {after a nine day hospital stay}. We did get home in time, but as many of you know the storm continued for many more months. The up and down roller coaster ride. So much has happened in one year. I am thankful beyond words that we are now where we are today. You my son are amazing.

To see you walking and talking. Witnessing how far you have come. Hearing from your doctors at Children's how amazed they are by you. You are a miracle. Your doctor told me there has never been another case she knows of at Children's where a child recovered so well when they didn't even know why the seizures started in the first place. We might never know, but I am so thankful we found out how to stop them. I'm so glad we were able to put you on the Modified Atkins for seizures diet and that it worked for you when six different medicines wouldn't. It's not easy, but I hope you know that I would move mountains for you. I love seeing how excited you get when I figure out another recipe that you like. Thanks to almond flour I've been able to figure out recipes for muffins, bread, cookies, cake, and things like meatloaf and breaded chicken. Every time I figure out something new I feel like the diet gets even more successful and it warms me. Makes me feel good inside, because it's something I can do for you to make things better. I know this diet can be hard on you, some times you talk about candy with a gleam in your eye like any other little kid, but you can't have any. You can't join in for ice cream or have the same cake as everyone else at a birthday party. You can't have anything made from grain. You can't eat unlimited fruit or vegetables with every one else. Every time you eat you have something different then the other kids. We try to keep the stuff you can't have out of your life, but there are times when it's unavoidable. And you cope. Because of you this diet works. With your help Atty we have made you seizure free! So now today on your 4th birthday we celebrate not only your birth and your life, but also how far you have come!

I love you more then life it's self Atticus. To the moon and back, quack, quack...

3 comments:

Charissa said...

This just made me bawl my eyes out...at work lol :') You have raised the most amazingly stong and sweet kids. What you have done with Atty through your creativity and persistence is an absolute miracle! I love you sis!

Lori said...

I too am bawling as I read each sentence...what a beautiful story of how love moves mountains and brings new life to a little boy...happy birthday Atty...I celebrate his life and all that it stands for...I am doing the happy dance today! XX

Kat said...

Awwww. Make me bawl!!!! He is just such a miracle!
Happy Birthday, handsome, wonderful, strong, Atty!!!!!! :)